10 point advisory to
parents selecting a daycare
- Do not choose a daycare just because it is cheap. They may be saving on salaries by not appointing proper or enough number of staff.
- Check the credentials of the people/person running the daycare.
- Just having CCTV cameras is not enough, ask the daycare if they check the recordings, and how regularly, also check if parents can check past recordings.
- Ask them about the training given to staff.
- Find out if all staff are police verified and medically free from contagious diseases.
- Does the daycare have an emergency handling procedure.
- Are staff trained in basic first aid like handling choking etc or do they have a nurse on the premise or doctor on call.
- Do they have regular fire drills.
- If food is being served then check hygiene of the kitchen and the person who cooks. If food is brought from a caterer or supplier check the suitability of this vendor.
- Check hygiene of toilets.